Thursday, May 27, 2010

Gourmet Genie

http://www.gourmetgenietogo.com/

I was really hungry on my ride home from Echo Park on Tuesday, but I didn't feel like locking up my bike and going inside a building to get food. I passed a couple of meat-centric food trucks, and my stomach was growling. Any food truck with a picture of a fuzzy animal on it that serves a factory farm version of that animal is super gross to me, even though the wafting scents smell pretty delicious.
Hoping to run across a truck with some vegetarian options, I turned down Hope Street, and near the corner of Hope and Olympic, there was the Gourmet Genie parked, advertising Mediterranean style cuisine.
I picked up a hommus pita wrapped sandwich for five dollars, and took it over to a lovely park in front of the Fashion Institute to eat. I was suddenly transported into a different city than the usual Los Angeles. A man was playing a guitar in the grass, and everywhere I looked, benches were occupied by people eating lunch or just enjoying the nice weather.
The sandwich was super. Tomatoes, lettuce, pickles, hummos and some other stuff I'm probably forgetting. The hummos was a bit chunky, with some garbanzos left intact. The proprietor of the truck said it was an old family recipe, but I don't care if he found it on the internet yesterday- it was fantastic!
The truck parks on Tuesday and Thursday evenings after 4pm on Hoover near Jefferson, in front of the Starbucks, but for up to the minute information on their whereabouts, follow them on Twitter.
http://twitter.com/gourmetgenie2go

No comments: